The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has adopted 988 as a new three-digit number to be used nationwide to reach the National Suicide Prevention and Mental Health Crisis Lifeline starting. This change has already been implemented in some Sparklight service areas and will be in place nationwide effective July 16, 2022. Customers can still reach the lifeline by calling 1-800-273-TALK (8255).
In order for 988 to work in area codes 928, 520, 618, 574, 620, 504, 218, 417, 660, 505, 575, 605, 731, 361, 409, 806 and 509, 10-digit local dialing must first be implemented.
Q: What will be the new dialing procedure?
A: To complete all local calls, you will need to dial area code + telephone number.
Q: Who will be affected?
A: Anyone with a telephone number from the area codes listed above will need to make this change, where not already implemented, from 7-digit local dialing to 10-digit local dialing.
Q: When will the change begin?
A: Beginning April 24, 2021, you should begin dialing 10 digits (area code + telephone number) for all local calls. If you forget and dial just 7 digits, your call will still be completed.
Between October 24, 2021 and December 5, 2021, 10-digit dialing (area code + telephone number) will be implemented for all local calls. Once the change is implemented, local calls dialed with only 7-digits may not be completed.
Beginning July 16, 2022, dialing “988” will route your call to National Suicide Prevention and Mental Health Crisis Lifeline.
Q: What will I need to do?
A: In addition to changing the way you dial local calls, all services, automatic dialing equipment, or other types of equipment that are programmed to complete calls to 7-digit local numbers will need to be reprogrammed to complete calls to 10-digit numbers. Some examples are life safety systems or medical monitoring devices, PBXs, fax machines, Internet dial-up numbers, fire or burglar alarm and security systems or gates, speed dialers, mobile or other wireless phone contact lists, call forwarding settings, voicemail services and other similar functions. Be sure to check your website, personal and business stationery, advertising materials, personal and business checks, contact information, your personal or pet ID tags, and other such items to ensure the area code is included.
Q: What will remain the same?
- Your telephone number, including current area code, will not change.
- The price of a call, coverage area, or other rates and services will not change due to the dialing change.
- What is a local call now will remain a local call regardless of the number of digits dialed.
- You will continue to dial 1+ area code + telephone number for all long-distance calls.
- You can still dial just three digits to reach 711 (relay services) and 911 (emergency services).
- Any 211, 311, 411, 511, 611, or 811 services available in your community can still be reached by dialing their three-digit codes.
- The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline can still be reached by dialing 1-800-273-TALK (8255).
If you have any questions regarding information provided in this notice, please contact Sparklight at 1-877-570-0500.
Was This Article Helpful?
Thank you for your feedback!
Thank you for your vote!
Have more questions?
Submit a request or Contact Us
Technical Support: (877) 570-0500