Energy for the Exhausted Entrepreneur
Your mom was right—there will be days like this. The deal you’ve worked on for six months fell through. A much-needed order from your supplier is late, again. Or roadwork is blocking customer access to your store. Let’s face it, you need to be resilient to run a business. That means managing your energy level so you’re ready for the ups and downs. One way to do that is with a daily dose of affirmations. Check out how this tool can help replenish your entrepreneurial energy.
An affirmation is a positive statement that reprograms your brain to think and feel differently. For example, “I make the best of every situation” reframes adversity as an opportunity to grow. Investing a few minutes thinking about these statements helps you gain the confidence to better address challenges.
It may sound hokey, but studies support the power of thoughts. They fuel a chemical reaction that sends signals to your body, changing how the body reacts. Negative thoughts, like “I’m a failure,” can actually release toxins that, over time, may lead to illness. Positive affirmations help detox the impact of these thoughts and replace them with healthier signals.
3 Affirmations for Entrepreneurs
The best affirmations focus on things that keep you up at night, like making a presentation to a key client. The idea is to turn them into a positive outcome with a statement like, “I am well prepared and I can give an awesome presentation.” Notice that it’s written in the present tense. Doing so programs you into thinking it’s true right now.
Here’s a sampling of some business-related affirmations from Business.com:
- I have the ability to adapt to changes as they occur. Change takes energy so it’s easy to sidestep it and stay inside your comfort zone. Take it on using this phrase.
- The passion I have for my business helps me create real value. Passion is what drove you to start your business. It’s what motivates you to continue. This phrase also directs you back to your purpose.
- I provide a product/service that people want and need. If you don’t believe in what you offer, how can you convince others of its value? Reaffirm that belief with this affirmation.
Need more ideas? Here’s a list of 40 Affirmations for Small Business Owners from Small Business Trends.
How to Use Your Affirmation
Think you want to give positive affirmations a try? Here are some pointers to get the most from these energizing statements:
- Saying is believing – Start by breathing in and out a couple of times. On your last exhale, say your affirmation slowly and clearly. Saying it out loud intensifies the signal you send to your brain. Some suggest doing this in front of a mirror helps to visually reinforce the impact. Repeat your statement three to five times.
- Rinse and repeat – Establish a habit of using affirmations by repeating them throughout the day. Some people set reminders on their smartphone to display an affirmation at certain times during the day. Others write them on sticky notes and attach them to their bathroom mirror, their dashboard or any spot you frequent. Here’s an affirmation app you can put on your iPhone.
- Use your friend lifeline – Get a friend, coach or mentor to say the affirmation to you. It’s another way to reprogram your brain, this time from a trusted source. Maybe they post something on your Facebook page or leave a voicemail on your phone.
- Make it your secret weapon – Affirmations set the overall tone for your day, but they can also be used on demand when you encounter a stressful situation. Saying the phrase helps you take a breath before reacting. Then you can respond more positively.
Positive affirmations are a simple but effective way to program success into your business. Give it a 30-day trial and see if they’ll refuel your entrepreneurial energy.